(Regional) ORGANIZING TEAM (Atlantic Region - Halifax)
CoC 2008-06: Part time / Permanent position
Closing on April 18, 2008
The Council of Canadians is a national public interest group opposed to deeper integration with the United States and increased corporate control, and committed to protecting and reclaiming Canadian sovereignty by promoting better democracy.
The Administrative Assistant (Regional) Organizing Team, under the direction of the Organizing Director, is responsible for providing administrative support to the Regional Organizer, collaborating with other members of the Organizing Team to ensure that work of the Team is effectively planned and implemented; and to ensure the effective and efficient functioning of the Regional and National offices.
The Administrative Assistant will:
* Provide administrative support to The Council’s office in Halifax;
* make travel & accommodation arrangements for the Regional Organizer;
* reply to information requests and straightforward correspondence;
* maintain databases;
* support the implementation of planned Regional organizing activities and Council activities in the region;
* input to the preparation of the annual Organizing Team operational plan, and monitor and ensure accuracy in assigned areas;
* participate in the development and maintenance of project files and of the Regional Office filing system, archiving and storage;
* maintain the provision of necessary office supplies and Council’s material;
* collaborate with other members of the Organizing team to ensure all work is effectively planned and implemented; and
* collaborate with other Council staff to ensure the effective and efficient functioning of the National Office.
The qualifications for this position are:
* Minimum of one year’s experience in administration/administrative systems, preferably in a campaigning environment;
* commitment to the Council’s values, vision and direction;
* knowledge and experience in assisting with constituency building (organizing, mobilizing, motivating individuals and groups) and in supporting event and actions;
* excellent computer skills including word processing, spreadsheet, Internet, communications and database software;
* basic knowledge of current national economic, social and political issues;
* ability to organize/prioritize a multi-task work load, take initiative and be flexible;
* strong interpersonal skills, including tact, discretion and judgement;
* excellent communications skills, both oral and written;
* capacity to work in a self-directed manner and demonstrated ability to work well within a team setting; and
* the ideal candidate will have fluency in both official languages of Canada.
The Council of Canadians is an equal opportunity employer. This is a part time permanent position of 12.25 hours per week, and is based in Halifax, Nova Scotia. We offer a unionized environment a pay scale of $14,097 per annum and the chance to make a difference!
APPLICATIONS: Send your resume, in confidence, by 5:00 PM, (ADT) Friday April 18, 2008 to firstname.lastname@example.org. Quote competition # CoC-2008-06 on application: Administrative Assistant Organizing Team (Atlantic Region).